Tuesday, June 05, 2007

If a Conference happens and no one is there...?

This year's Annual conference is over and done. It didn't really seem like it was time for it to happen - this year has flown by.

At least for my responsibilities (being in charge of voting and the tellers), things went much better than I imagined they would. As Sherill came to find out, I don't have much patience for stupidity, rather, stupid decisions and results that can easily be avoided by listening. Fortunately, we only had a few episodes of group stupidity. However, where I had anticipated the laity would need more hand holding and scolding, it was the clergy that apparently left their village an idiot short that weekend. The things were nothing major, but it's mind-boggling how difficult filling in a bubble on a Scantron card is for some people. But I digress...

I will say that a member here at Trinity did almost send me into a panic attack when I mistook the sheets of stickers he was giving out to children for more ballots that needed to be counted.

I was able to reconnect with a few people from college, high school, and camp that I had not seen in a while, which evokes the original purpose of Conference. But many conversations were cut short due to other responsibilities. I need to do better in maintaining those relationships.

Overall, I think I had a good time at Conference. I worked with a great group of people, and despite running around constantly, I wasn't as drained as last year. This doesn't mean though, that I am volunteering to be an assistant to the Conference Secretary again... :-)

3 comments:

Pastor Sherill said...

Have I remembered to say thank you! As for assistant secretary -- we don't have another election for four years! And I sure can use the entertainment!

Anonymous said...

Hey Matt,
Thanks for your comments. I don't know if there we're in any majority in the conference. But I'm certain that it is a minority of voices that thwart intelligent conversation. Can't we have some civil discourse? (I remember someone calling it productive intercourse, and I just laaaughed.)

Anonymous said...

that was me... e