Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Stick.

Last night, Laura asked me if we were going to see "Transformers" when it comes out. Surprising her, I said, "No, I hadn't planned on it."

Now don't get me wrong. Growing up I was obsessed with the toys had had "more than meets the eye." But there is no yearning whatsoever to see this movie. It's kind of surprising to me, too. But, I think that there is reason that nostalgia and nausea sound similar. I can only look back for so long (I type this, of course, while listening to 90's alternative on my radio).

It's interesting, though, that there are so many things that are now being geared to people my age that hearken back to my childhood and youth - Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and for the girls, Nancy Drew and Strawberry Shortcake. Of course, it's to capitalize on our generation who are now becoming parents, and seeing where there is a huge market to make toys for the kids of kids who never grew up. Maybe "Toys'R'Us" was as sinister as my mom made it out to be.

So now, I have an idea. If old is new again, and the market is there to bring back toys from previous generations, maybe some even older toys have some profit potential. I'm thinking of packaging and marketing "The Stick." I'm pretty sure my dad played with one, certainly my grandfather, possibly even my great-grandfather. Just think of this untapped potential of reviving these "classic toys." I can see it now, "The Stick," "The Can," "The Rock," and the ever-popular, "The Spin Around Until You're Sick."

I think that it can work. Any venture capitalists who want to get in on ground level?

2 comments:

Tony said...

I like it!

Pastor Sherill said...

Can we package insects too?
My favorite were the fireflies.
Oh the hours we spent catching them, bottling them up and unfortunately disposing of them later.